Tim specializes in real estate and business law, and has done so for more than 35 years. His real estate practice includes commercial and residential property transactions, mixed-use development, condominium development and conversions, representation of real estate brokers, developers, banks, individuals and business entities, commercial and residential landlords, and tenants.
For more than two decades some of Tim’s clients have contributed significantly to Grand Rapids’ revitalization by building or renovating thousands of residential rental and ownership units and diverse, exciting mixed use developments. Much of this development is made possible through creatively blending tax credits and other development incentives made available through local, state, and federal programs.
Tim’s business practice includes forming and representing corporations, limited liability companies, condominium associations, and general and limited partnerships.
Tim is the proud father of 4 boys, and when he is not practicing law, he enjoys spending time with them, traveling, cooking, reading, and on increasingly rare occasions, golfing.
- American Bar Association
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association, General Practice Section, Construction Law Committee
- American Bar Association, Michigan Supreme Court Landlord/Tenant Court Rules Drafting Committee
- American Bar Association, Committee on Corporate Banking and Business Law
- State Bar of Michigan, Real Property Section, Broker and Mortgage Services Committee
- Kent County Housing Commission, 1996 – 2005
- Kent County Housing Commission, President, 2001 – 2005
- Interurban Transit Partnership, Board of Trustees, 1997 – 2003
- East Grand Rapids, MI, City Commissioner, 1996 – 2000
- “A Primer on Legal and Tax Considerations.” In Generating and Sustaining Nonprofit Earned Income: A Guide to Successful Enterprise Strategies., (Co-Author with William H. Heritage Jr.), Yale School of Management, 2004
- “A Primer on Legal and Tax Considerations.”
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Commercial and Residential Real Estate
- Development and Financing Law
- General Business Law
- Contract Law
- Real Estate Litigation
- Michigan, 1978
- U. S. Federal Courts, 1980
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan – J.D. – 1978
- Calvin College – B.A. – 1974